After two weeks of trying out the English-only Day, the response has been generally positive and most students are able to maintain speaking English for the whole day.
However, I have found a need to make a few amendments, particularly because there seems to be no incentive to be a member of the English Police. So the following are the proposed changes for the English-only Day:
1. English Police who can speak English for the whole day for three times consecutively can earn a basic lifeline - reduce the punishment to only 150 words. This lifeline can be used at any time during the year and is transferable to other members of the English Police.
2. English Police who can speak English for the whole day for five times consecutively can earn a special lifeline - cancel a punishment completely. This lifeline can be used at any time during the year and is transferable to other members of the English Police.
Please note: the punishment for any members of the English Police speaking non-English languages will remain double the normal punishment i.e. 1000 words.
This new policy will be implemented from 8/12/2010. Please give your opinions about the policy and any other suggestions you may have regarding the English-only Day. Your opinions and suggestions are most welcome. (Everyone must comment on this blog to say whether you agree with the proposed changes or not!!!) Also, if you are interested in becoming a member of the English Police, you are most welcome to.
Further, I would like to create an English-only Mascot to promote the English-only Day. The mascot should be cute and have something to do with speaking English. Use your creativity! Please send your entries to my eclass e-mail before Friday 3/12/2010. The winning entry will receive a basic lifeline and an appreciation slip.
Oh, I forgot to ask, should we have rewards for normal citizens too?
ReplyDeleteMr. Cheng
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteActually I agree the new policy since the police can have more safeguard.On the other hand,I think the citizen can have some rewards if they can perform well.
ReplyDeleteYasmin
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAs I am not the English police, I don't have my right to say are these policies good or not.
ReplyDeleteBut being a citizen, just like what have Yasmin mentioned, I hope that it can also have some rewards for the citizens. Since not every students in 3A will have a chance to become an English police, and it is quite impossible to have 33 English polices in our class, I think it is a need to also provide an opportunity for the citizens to recieve their appreciations on performing well during the English- only days.
I think this new policy is fine,but it can also earn for normal citizen,it can be more fair for everyone to have a basic lifeline.
ReplyDeleteI think this new policy is fine.But just as what Dawn mentioned,normal citizens can also earn the lifeline,it can be more encouragable to us for speaking English for the whole day.
ReplyDeleteStephanie
I think that this policy is quite good as some time the police may react with Chineses when they saw somthing happen suddenly. And it can give a chance to lower their punishment.
ReplyDeleteI also agree that there should be some reward for citizen, as it can encourage them to speak more in English in that day.
Thanks for the comments so far. I do agree that citizens should have some rewards too. Any suggestions?
ReplyDeletei agree this change .
ReplyDeleteit is more fair for those English police.
I think this new policy is quite good, cause the policy we had before do not offer english police any benifit, but the new one has concerned, so I support this policy!
ReplyDeleteThis new policy is good. I also think it is better that everyone can have a lifeline because when the other classes know we can only speak English, they start to find a chance to force us to speak Chinese.
ReplyDeleteAnd also it is fair to us.
I think that the new policy is better than the old one. The police can have more 'salary' so I think that we can work harder on catcahing people who speak Chinese. As one of the police, I also satisfy the 'salary'. However, I still hope that I can catch no one.
ReplyDeleteKung Man Chun
I think it is not necessary that the English Police may need to write the punishment on 1000 words. We need to reduce the number of the punishment that if any English Police had caught speaking Chinese. 1000 words was a big jod for everyone in 3A. Actually, it was a big job for Everyone, the whole school. Why we don't try that plus one hundred of 500 words that the English police had caughtper one time
ReplyDelete3A 22 Christopher Avery Kong.
I think the new policy is good for the police. I know the police need to do many things. It is hard to say English but no other languages. The police also Chinese, they may also say Chinese too. Like the jobs, they work for you, and you pay to them. It is very normal. However, I am not a police. Therefore, I felt nothing special to the new policy.
ReplyDeleteAndy
I think it is good to give some exceptions for the English Police for encouraging them to control people not to speak other languages.
ReplyDeleteI suggest that if citizens can speak English for the whole day for 5 times consecutively, they can earn a basic lifeline.
Good Policy
ReplyDeleteI think it is good because it is fair to English police. Also, i think the new policy is quite attractive because the English Police can control themselves more, then they would get back something.
ReplyDeleteI think the new policy is good and fair for the English Police. But on the other hand, do the citizens can also have some rewards? It is because I think it is not fair to them. Maybe if they have some rewards they will try to perform well and talk more with other in English to the English-only day.
ReplyDelete3A_32 Ernest Wong
ReplyDeleteI think this new policy is nice enough for the English Police. They can get something because of not saying chinese, but how about the citizens? They speak english whole day, but they get nothing. May be they can get some little reward about that.
I suggest that when the citizens can be able to pass four times on speaking English during the English-only days, they may have a lifespan on writing 250 words for their punishment next time.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this policy since it is more fair to the English police.
ReplyDeleteI think most of the police will try their best to speak English for
whole day fir five times consecutively so to get the lifeline. So, is
it mean that if I speak English for whole day for ten times
consecutively, I will get 2 special lifeline?
MICHELLE
I argee with this policy,but as many classmates said,it may not be fair of the normal citizens, as they didn't get rewards if they done well. I think some rewards can be gave if the normal citizens also did a good job.
ReplyDeleteKaren
I agree with this new policy.At least,it is better than the old one.However, I think a lifeline is needed for everyone, not just for the English police.I think we don't need to have any rewards for the normal citizens because it is hard to define who is perform well and it is not necessary.
ReplyDeleteJack
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Mr. Cheng's purpose. It's a way to encourage the English police to speak English only in English-only day. I think students don't speak cantonese in English-only Day intentionally. I think students somtimes suddenly spoke out a cantonese sentence. I think the policy should be reducing the punishment for all the classmates(included normal citizens & English police) as students follow the rules(not to speak Cantonese on English-only Day) most of the time.
ReplyDeleteI think this can be more safe for the English Police. Although it is not difficlut the write about 1000 words, the homework in this year is become very busy, we need more time to write the essay. This is more fare to the English Police. But Mr.Cheng, how about the spy???
ReplyDeleteI think this is fair enough=]
ReplyDeleteA better policy...
Kelly=]
I think this new policy is good for the English police only. Maybe just like Mr. Cheng said have some rewards for normal citizens too.
ReplyDeleteEveryone who can speak English for the whole day for three times consecutively may earn a basic lifeline. This lifeline can be used at any time during the year. Only English police can transfer this lifeline to other members of the English Police.
English police who can speak English for the whole day for five times consecutively can earn a special lifeline. This lifeline can be used at any time during the year and is transferable to other members of the English Police. (Special lifeline no changed)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBy Elizabeth Chan
ReplyDeleteI think that this a very good idea. It make the English day more fun when the classmates see the English-only Mascot.
Also, some people think that if only they speak once chinese and they need to write about 500 words, they will feel not fair. If this really work, I think many people will think that it is more fair.
I think that in the Englisg-only day, i feel that i cannot talk because some words i cannot speak in English.
By Winnie Lo
ReplyDeleteI think the new policy is good and I think there should be some awards for the normal citizen, so to encourage people to use more English.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the policy, I think the normal student can have a lifeline too.
ReplyDeleteby Matthew Cheng
I think that we should find some volunteer for the police because it is not everyone want to do the police. I hope that we can have English-only Day for the other classes
ReplyDeleteHenry(27)